Monday, April 21, 2008

Sensitivity (Dog) Training

Listen up, and listen good....I've got a lesson for you all. This weekend I gained immense amounts of knowledge regarding equality, compassion, and human and animal rights. My parents, in their altruistic nature, have resolved to teach me how to be more accepting of people or animals that I may encounter who may be different from myself or those who I am used to.


I've been raised around an extremely macho, tough dog named Shiner. He is quickly becoming my BFF. We enjoy long walks around the neighborhood at night and sharing teething biscuits. I feel a connection with him that I have yet to feel with other animals. This is why my my Mom decided to use him in a "hands-on approach," to teaching me to be more accepting of others who may lead "alternative lifestyles", she felt it best that I learn these lessons from someone or something I loved and knew well.

So, its a typical Sunday afternoon romp on the floor...Shiner's chewing on a rubber bone which I believe is specifically made for super-powered dogs with brute strength and high testosterone levels. I am watching him waiting for an opportunity to pounce on him and grab his bone or his paws. Mom comes in and tells Shiner that she bought him some new tennis balls and that he'll no longer use his old green ones, but would now be using pink breast cancer balls instead.

Initially, he seemed confused and forlorn but I showed him that they were just as good as his green ones and he shouldn't be afraid to play with these.

Using my newly learned sensitive voice, I said:


"Now , listen here, Shiner. Using these balls does not make you less of a man...it just shows that you are secure in the dog that you are and, in turn, makes you seem even more manly for having the confidence to use pink balls when other dogs may not be. Not to mention, you are supporting a great cause and that is quite impressive in a K-9. Who knows, you could start a new revolution of charitable dogs. Just consider that this could be a huge turning point in your life and the lives of many others. By using these balls you are making a difference in the world"Shiner seemed receptive to this revelation and slowly perked up and began chewing the ball vigorously to show that he was proud of his new responsibilities as an advocate for dogs with alternative lifestyle choices everywhere. Here he is thanking me for putting things in perspective for him. I told him that I am glad to be of service...We soon were ready for the next step in our sensitivity training. Admittedly, I found this a a little disconcerting at first, but grew comfortable with it. I see nothing wrong with a dog who is so utterly comfortable in such a beautiful ensemble. Soon it seemed as though Shiner was really comfortable in his new skin. He was running (almost prancing) about trying to catch his new pink balls with reckless abandon. It feels good to have been a part of Shiner's emancipation from pre-conceived notions of what a male dog should be. He is so much freer and uninhibited now.


This experience has taught me to be more open-minded and less judgmental, which I firmly believe is a lesson better learned early than never. Mom says I'll encounter people the rest of my life who are different from the "norm," but I shouldn't treat them any differently, just like I did with Shiner on that special day. Now, if I could just get some of these hard-headed adults to do the same!






**No dogs were harmed, physically or emotionally, in the making of this blog. Shiner has resumed his normal activities and continues to thrive as a masculine male dog, pink balls and all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooper, you are such an enlightened little boy!! Please tell your mommy that she is doing a great job in raising you to not be judgemental of those out of the "norm", even our friendly K-9's
:)

Shantell Wyatt said...

Hehehe, I love it :) Daisy is looking over my should & likes what she sees.

Renee' said...

What great parents you have to teach you to be open-minded at such an early age. :)

Tressa said...

Cooper, how come your sooo smart at such a young age? I cannot believe some of your wordage: equality, compassion, altruistic! BOY!Im learning alot from you! Thanks for sharing!
LOVE,
AUNT T